Thursday 17 July 2014

Catching Up and Moving Forward

My recovery from the Wicklow Way was hampered by the injury I received on the outside of my left leg. My resting Hr the day after the race was 57, coming down to the 40's during the following week and gradually coming back down to 38/39 in the last few weeks, where it was before the race. I had planned on continuing with the ultra training by running the Portumna 100k, with a view to going for the 24 hour in Belfast tomorrow, but the slow recovery scuppered that plan. While I had missed the deadline for entry (first 50) I got onto the waiting list (7th in line), but when the offer of a place came a few weeks ago I declined and opted instead to go for the shorter 12 hour race and see how I fare.
 
 
I have no great expectations going into the race as my training has been very much up and down over the last few months and nothing like the structured approach to my Marathon PBs and Connemara 100 last year. I certainly feel like it's the least prepared I am for an ultra. I am over 5 kg heavier than I was at my peak last year - so no pressure then - but while my body knows that, try telling it to my head when I toe the line tomorrow evening. It should be good fun all the same, watching the 24 hours race unfold from the relative conform of the "short race".


Half my problem is that I am content to just enjoy my training runs at the moment, still basking in the glory of last years achievements, which continued into this year when I received the ultimate honour from my peers in Eagle AC at the club awards night in March. Surely I can get a bit more mileage out of this before I have to start thinking about new goals.

 

1 comment:

  1. Great trophies Grellan - easy to dust. Congrats on your win in the 12 hour! (spotted the results on the race Twitter feed).

    ReplyDelete